I thought I’d try to quantify my music listening for 2008 which was a year of big changes for me as I downloaded more music this year than bought physical copies for the first time.
The total number of tracks I listened to through last fm in 2008 was 5679.
I still listen at home almost exclusively through my Hi-Fi, so it’s mostly not scrobbled,Â and comparing even 320 kbit/s through my ipod connected to my amp is a different experience from a cd through same amp and speakers, so tracking my listening and fully enjoying uncompromised audio still don’t seem to me to be able to be satisfactorily brought together.
My lastfm profile is therefore a little skewed towards electronica than my actual real listening although if you look at the list below of what I bought last year you will see it still makes up the majority of my purchases.
A list of the records, in all formats, I bought last year (deep breath!), there must be some I’ve missed and I’ll update if I ever spot them.
Above is a screenshot of my top 10 most listened to artists from last year, click on the image for my top 100. Below is the longlist…
- As High as the Sky by The Mole
- Black Sea by FenneszÂ – really beautiful ambient, that came out just at the end of the year so I’ve not fully internally processed it,but it may turn out to have been one of my favourite of the year.
- Blktop Project by Blktop Project
- Temper by Benoit Pioulard
- 7 Years by Akiko Kiyama – One of the best releases in the minimal section.
- BCD by Basic Channel
- Convivial by Luomo
- BCD-2 by Basci Channel
- Push Me, Pull You by Toob
- Special Life by Kaito
- Supermodified by Amon Tobin
- Audiotacker by Mouse on Mars – Awesome if you don’t have it buy it today.
- Vulvaland by Mouse on Mars
- Radical Connector by Mouse on Mars
- Rost Poks the EP Collection by Mouse on Mars
- Instrumentals by Mouse on Mars
- Ninja Tuna by Mr.Scruff
- Movements by Booka Shade
- The Sun and The Neon Light by Booka Shade
- Resurgam by Alias
- The Outside by Eliot Lipp
- Birdy Nam Nam by Birdy Nam Nam
- Yearbook2 by Studio
- Total 2 by Various (Kompakt)
- After Love by Closer Music
- Chromophobia by Gui Boratto – great an ex architect to boot.
- Staying in by Disjokke – best cheesy electronic dance music of the year by far an excellent record.
- Silent Movie by Quiet Village
- Sool by Ellen Allien
- Thrills by Ellen Allien
- Halo re/lux by Kiln
- twinewheel by Kiln
- Selected Ambient Works 85-92 by Aphex Twin -Â Still don’t really get him, suspect I never will.
- Street horrrsing by The F*** Buttons
- DOS by Michael Fakesch
- Hi Scores by Boards of Canada
- Pole by Steingarten
- Everyone alive wants Answers by Colleen
- Silizium by Apparat
- The Many Moods of Ben Benjamin by Ben Benjamin
- Donkey by CSS
- May Be Later by Dinky
- Ringer by Four Tet
- Where You Go I Go Too by LindstrÃ¸m – space disco to the next level / dimension whatever.
- Animals by Minilogue
- Orchestra of Bubbles by Ellen Allien and Apparat
- I’ve Got My Eye on You by Syclops – partly Finnish
- Third by Portishead – yes it was good but didn’t really inspire love in me.
- I Choose Noise by Hybrid – A little disapointing
- Psyenece Fiction by Unkle
- Cosmos by SkatebÃ¥rd – more Norwegian space disco some great tracks and some fillers.
- Ã„lÃ¤ Kysy Kuolleita by Elenoora Rosenholm – not as good as their first but still excellent.
- Veden Alla by Emma Salokoski Ensemble – my love for this record surged fast and then faded a bit but v. good.
- Kuka Teki Minusta tÃ¤in naisen by Jippu
- Errare Machinale Est by Jori Hulkkonen
- Laula Laakson Kukista by Paavoharju – Everyone loves this band but me well I start off enjoying it but faux pixie singing soon becomes weirisome.
- Spark Large by Marching Band
- Boxer by the National – Just awesome record, couldn’t stop listening all year.
- Songs on the Rocks by NÃ´ze – a great pop record.
- Northern Sulphuric Soul by Rae and Christian
- Ghost Rock by Nomo
- Modern Guilt by Beck - Pretty much back to his best thank god!
- Broken Social Scene by Broken Social Scene
- Dear Science by T.V. on the Radio - the people who raved about this would be wrong.
- Alpinisms by School of Seven Bells
- Offend Maggie by Deerhoof
- Miracle Kicker by Dark Captain, Light Captain
- The Trails of Van Occupanther by Midlake
- Like Drawing Blood by Gotye
- For Emma, Forever ago by Bon Iver – maybe my favourite of the year, couldn’t get away from this record.
- Soldier on by Andrew Bird
- Young Team by Mogwai
- Hawk is Howling by Mogwai
- Consolers of the Lonely by The Raconteurs
- In Ghost Colours by Cut Copy
- Living with Owusu and Hannibal by Owusu and Hannibal
- Wild Mountain Nation by Blitzen Trapper
- Do You Like Rock Music? by British Sea Power
- meÃ° suÃ° Ã eyrum viÃ° spilum endalaust by sigur rÃ³s – yes they are great.
- Jukebox by Catpower
- Knee Deep in the North Sea by the Portico Quintet great but the sax became a little annoying and I felt myself wishing it was a trumpet!
- Madvillany by Madvillan
- Trunk Funk Classics by The Brand New Heavies -Â got this for old times sake.
- In Love + Light by Heidi Talbot – folk album and very nice too thanks.
- Slime and Reason by Roots Manuva
- Underneath the Stars by Kate Rusby
- Atoms For Peace (Fourtet Remix)/ Black Swan (Cristian Vogel Remix 1)/ Black Swan (Christian Vogel Remix 2) by Thom Yorke
- Nattura by BjÃ¶rk
- Let’s Practise by Lindstrom and Solale
- Lone Ranger by Micachu
- Ahck Remixes by Minilogue
- Cannonball by the Breeders – for old times sake again.
- Piano Magic Remixed by Piano Magic
Note: the historical chart was made using the historical chart scrobbler.