The city of Kiruna has announced the winner of the competition to effectively move the city away from the subsidence radiating from the iron mine which is slowly swallowing the old city. Kiruna 4-ever won by White Architects AB (Stockholm), Ghilardi + Hellsten (Oslo), Spacescape (Stockholm), Vectura Consulting AB (Solna) and Evidence BLW AB (Stockholm).
Because of what must be one of the largest mines in Europe Kiruna is the biggest energy consumer in Sweden coupled with a relatively extreme northerly climate the redesign of Kiruna is a big and interesting urban challenge. The winning proposal has at it’s heart in many ways the introduction of a cable car system to link the mine the new center and other key points of the city.
Kiruna, the town in Northern Sweden that is slowly slipping into the ground has announced the closed competition list to redesign the city when it moves to it’s new location.
- Design AIM (Helsingborg) and Onix Sweden AB (Helsingborg) with advisor / sub-consultants Noema Culture & Place Mapping (London), Atkins (Malmö) and Farawaysoclose / Apocalypse Labotek (Malmö).
- Bjarke Ingels Group (Copenhagen), Spacescape (Stockholm), Testbedstudio (Stockholm), Topotek 1 & Man Made Land (Berlin) and Resource Vision (Stockholm).
- BSK Architects AB (Stockholm), MVRDV (Rotterdam) and Grontmij in Sweden AB (Stockholm).
- COBE Aps (Copenhagen) with advisers Kragh & Berglund (Copenhagen and Stockholm), Moe & Bread Farm (Rodovre), Yngve Andren Konsult AB (Stockholm) and Boris Broman Jensen (Aarhus).
- Ecosistema Urban (Madrid), architect Kristine Jensen Tegnestue (Aarhus), 700N architecture AS (Tromsø), Lighting Architecture (Stockholm) and Atkins (Stockholm).
- KCAP Architect & Planners (Rotterdam) and Case Studio (Gothenburg).
- NorconsultByplan (Sandvika), Norconsult landscape architect (Sandvika), Fantastic Norway (Oslo) and the 0047 International AS (Oslo).
- Tham and Videgård Architects (Stockholm), Territorial Agency (London) and a_zero environmental architects (London).
- Tovatt Architects & Planners (Stockholm), Atelier Dreiseitl (Ueberlingen), Urban Think Tank Architects LLC (Zurich) and Wenanders (Stockholm).
- White Architects AB (Stockholm), Ghilardi + Hellsten (Oslo), Spacescape (Stockholm), Vectura Consulting AB (Solna) and Evidence BLW AB (Stockholm)
Expect the result in March 2013.
See my original write up of Kiruna here.
The Town of Kiruna in Sweden is cracking apart. Like an earthquake in slow motion the ground near Kiruna cracks and sinks in an ever widening circle which is beginning to tear apart the city. A huge Iron ore Mine to the west of the town has caused the earth to subside around the mine at an ever expanding rate, and like an earthquake, the earth displaces in an ever widening circle creating cracks and subsidence and destroying buildings. This slow motion earthquake will last another 100 years has already begin to encroach into the city and will reach the centre soon. What’s the solution? The town will have to move. Continue reading